This paper follows three pathways towards effective engagement – defining and articulating an organisation’s purpose and values, developing employee advocates for engagement, and pivoting during the pandemic to embed employee engagement within an organisation. All three are different but related, and all three present lessons that others across the public sector can use to build up and embed their own employee engagement.
- The way organisations and employees engage with each other has changed
- The power is now firmly with the employees; managers need to be conscious of this
- Creating and maintaining a purpose and values that the organisation lives by is critical to attracting and retaining the best employees
- Identifying and developing a network of advocates in a large organisation can help with employee engagement
- Pivoting towards key principles during COVID-19 will likely have a positive impact on employee engagement post-pandemic
- Employee engagement is a continuous process