I believe it is time to drop the word DIGITAL and simply replace it with TRANSFORMATION.
When our customers connect with us, they only care about their channel of preference and are only interested in achieving the outcome in the easiest way possible. Digital is one channel that is becoming more popular due to its 24 X 7 access but it may not be your customers preferred channel hence stick to transformation rather than just digital transformation.
If you focus only on Digital Transformation, you might be able to improve the digital experience but the experience across other channels (which, may be higher volume channels) will continue to be stagnant. By focusing on Transformation, you will be able to focus on redesigning the services and improving the organisations entire customer experience.
If you think about why organisations transformation efforts are failing, this is because either the focus is on technical solutions or only part of the experience is being transformed in isolation to the whole event. Digital transformation can be compared to conception an event or point of interaction and transformation can be compared to becoming a parent a life changing experience that requires long term commitment.
There is plenty of research to emphasise that a successful transformation is enabled by changing the Mindset practices & way of working; Processes policies & strategies and Culture creating transparency & flexibility. When we focus on all of this along with exploring innovative technologies to get business outcomes, it can be called holistic transformation.
So when should it be about Digital Transformation?
- When all your processes, practices and customer sentiments have been mapped, re-engineered and plan for continuous improvement is in place
- When Digital is the only channel that is broken and you have evidence to demonstrate the experience across all other channel is far better
- When you have not invested in digital platform and it requires an urgent uplift but even then, successful outcomes cant be delivered without transforming organisations processes, way of working and uplifting capabilities of your staff
- If your digital transformation definition includes focus on customers experience across all channels
When should it be about holistic transformation?
- All the time. Its your choice to either be a leader or play catch-up
- Align your organisations vision to think BIG and connect (Both customers & internal stakeholders) to deliver positive change
- When you want to deliver consistent experience across all channels and want to break the silos
- When you are ready to become a parent and are ready to accept how it will change all aspects of your life
Critical steps to transformation:
- Start with the mission or purpose to clarify why are you transforming and what value will it add?
- Scan the available opportunities to understand the lay of land
- Ideate with stakeholders and customers
- Prioritise and prepare a high level road-map
- Prototype & experiment
- Implement and scale-up
- Celebrate the success and lessons
*One standard way of transforming doesnt apply to all organisations as they are unique. These are tips based on my experience while working with high performing teams and passionate leaders.
Author: Shweta Babbar, Chief Transformation Officer, Glen Eira Council
Read the original article here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/holistic-transformation-achieve-more-less-shweta-babbar/